Friday, April 9, 2010

Red wine and the bridal gown..oops!


I was chatting with a dear colleague today, Missy, and I shared with her an "Oh my goodness" moment from this past weekend's wedding. She encouraged me to share the story in hopes that if anyone is ever faced with the same predicament that it may save you and your bride from tears!

We had a wedding this past weekend in a beautiful venue with amazing vendors, and a fun bride and groom. It truly was a wonderful evening! (We wish you all the best, Matt and Allison!) During the evening a guest came over to hug the bride with red wine in her hand (please guests...this is really a no no).. Well, you guessed it...red wine down the back of the bride’s gown..."OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!!" One of my assistants for the evening is also a colleague (Professional Bridal Consultant), and dear friend, Julie Morgan. She and I grabbed our emergency kits and went to work. The bride’s gown looked great when we were done so I thought I would share the tricks.

We started with a cloth and dabbed the excess red wine out of the gown. We then dipped the cloth into a glass of white wine. This got quite a bit of the red stain out. Then we dipped the cloth into club soda and got almost all of it out. Of course we only dabbed, rubbing could spread the stain as well as drive it deeper into the gown. We then applied baby powder (talcum not cornstarch) this masked any faint stain that was left. When we were done you could not tell that there had been an almost catastrophe with the dreaded red wine. Don't get me wrong I love red wine, just not around a bride in a gorgeous gown!!! My suggestion: Keep talcum powder in your emergency kit.

If you have any other "save the day" tips I would LOVE to hear them! Feel free to post them =)

Warm regards,

Emily Petersen, PBC

Emily Weddings, Inc.


2 comments:

  1. What great tips, Emily. I'm definitely going to remember these in case of emergency. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I am always learning new tricks (I think all good pros never stop learning and sharing). I hope you never have to use this one though =) Glad it is helpful!

    ReplyDelete